not what I signed up for

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 17:15:37 -0500

Oh, Ric, you had me going there for a minute - that is until I read:

"Not having tried the Verituner myself....."

Then I understood where you were coming from.   ;-)

Terry Farrell
  Would I suggest you dont know what you're talking about ???? grin.. =
surely you jest. If there is anyone who deserves the=20
  title of Piano Guru in my book, surely you are amoung the most valued =
of these.

  Still, my own concerns hold, and do not really come in conflict with =
your enthusiasms for Verituner. I just find it suspect at best to assume =
that=20
  tuning interests are served by developing the idea that we only need =
the machine. That we need not  develop a musical ear for ourselves, that =
we need not develop an theoretical  understanding of tuning in general, =
that we need not put the machines solution (regardless of how good that =
is or isnt) into the perspective of the subjective yet learned EAR.

  Not having tried the Verituner myself, I of course can not speak to =
its pros and cons beyond the fact that I am on record for being in =
support of the general multipartial approach. The single partial =
approach does not really do it for me. I find too many examples like the =
one that started this thread that result from out and out reliance on =
single partial tuning curves.  But my point is not about whether their =
exists a <<good enough>> tuning machine or not. It goes to what happens =
when we become so reliant on them that we no longer can <<hear>> much =
less <<understand>> what a good tuning is anymore.   I'm all for using =
ETD's... but only as a supplement. Keeping the collective << tuners ear =
>> trained, schooled, and ready can only be a good idea as far as I can =
see.

  Cheers
  RicB