working with etd's and the customers' la-di-da

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 23:28:20 +0100

On 5-feb-05, at 23:02, David Love wrote:

> There is a fair amount of discussion on the VT forum about tweaking=20
> styles in order to achieve the right tuning for particular pianos.=A0=20=

> The default style settings have built into them a certain amount of=20
> stretch in each octave of the piano based on subjective research about=20=

> what sounds best. =A0None of the settings show a pure octave on any=20
> particular octave of the piano but are expanded or contracted using a=20=

> particular octave type as a basis.=A0 Are you generally tuning on the=20=

> =93average=94,
> =93expanded=94 or =93clean=94 setting, or a custom style of your own =
or=20
> perhaps one of Ron Koval=92s (or mine) who contributed much to the=20
> discussion? =A0A one style fits all (stretch) was something I was=20
> working on quite a bit and was not able to find one that worked for=20
> everything.=A0 Even when I did find a good style fit, sometimes there=20=

> would be a note or two or three that needed to be modified to keep a=20=

> smooth sequence of thirds or octaves throughout the piano.=A0 I found=20=

> that the =93average style=94 tended to stretch the bass more than I=20
> liked.=A0

I found (after experimenting with the stretch possibilities in that=20
machine) that the 'average' tuning suits me best.
"Average" tuning meaning already stretched, just like a 'regular'=20
tuning made by human ears.
Of course a discussion about styles is out of the question, just not=20
possible.

> I think the VT has a lot of nice options that allow you to custom set=20=

> everything to your liking.=A0 But I was never able to trust it (or any=20=

> other machine for that matter) enough to tune without listening and=20
> checking at least somewhat.=A0 In fact, the only complaints I have=20
> really gotten about tunings, ironically, were when I did an A0 =96 C88=20=

> tuning without any interval checking.=A0

Let me 'try' to put it this way :
The best tuning I ever made in two hours time, was my final exam tuning=20=

at the Yamaha Academy. It took me a full month of intense training to=20
reach that level. There was btw no choice, one was obliged to get the=20
highest mark, or no certificate.
After I got home, it took me some time to 'come down' and realize that=20=

I had undergone an incredible learning experience, but at the same I=20
realized that I would probably never tune like that again for very=20
simple and economical reasons : Nobody is going to pay me for that very=20=

same effort.

The machine I use, may have its flaws, or not.... by using it, I=20
learned one thing very quickly :
This thing gave me instantly the tuning I had trained for so hard.
In Holland we have a saying : "I chose eggs for my money", and decided=20=

to stop fooling around and try to be a hero, which I am not.
I am now 56. My ears are still ok, but pretty soon they will go down,=20
just like my eyesight. Furthermore, there are pianos one can simply not=20=

tune because they are so rotten they make you ill by the time you're=20
finished.
My ETD takes care of all of that and do my work humming happily,=20
because I can concentrate on doing much more important work : making=20
very nice unisons.
In my opinion, nobody gives a damn whether a'''' is slightly high or=20
that B contra is an eyebrow hair too low.
If the overall tuning is on a level of say 95 %, it is a concert tuning=20=

of the highest level and I really have not met any tuner yet who can be=20=

that accurate, and- again -in 45 minutes!!!

> I agree that unisons must be tuned by ear.=A0 I am a firm believer in=20=

> the use of machines as a second pair of ears.=A0 But I would have to=20=

> emphasize as a second pair, one=92s own being the first.=A0 A =
combination=20
> aural/electronic tuning doesn=92t take me any longer than 45 min =96 1=20=

> hour and I do find them especially useful for setting a perfect and=20
> effortless temperament.

It was and is never my intention to force any ETD down anyone's throat.=20=

What do I care?
All I would like to make clear, is that there are machines these days=20
which are VERY hard nuts to crack.

If one insists that an aural tuning is better, so be it, I prefer to=20
say that some aural tuners, probably like David Andersen, are really=20
fantastic tuners, but that it takes a whole lot of energy and stress to=20=

produce 5 of those tunings a day.
Working with a near perfect ETD is far less stressful and costs far=20
less energy.
Again, the unisons are, in my opinion, more important, and so is the=20
voicing.

See, I choose for an economical use of my time with a maximum result.

friendly greetings
from
ANDR=C9 OOREBEEK

Where 'music' is no harm can be