Schimmel Regulation Problem

Scott Helms tuner@helmsmusic.net
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 19:07:21 -0500 (EST)

Hi everybody -

Tom, your thoughts are just what mine were - with a reputation like
Schimmel's, how could such a glaring action geometry problem have gotten
out of the factory?

When I first brought this problem to the list (about 2 months ago - I had
to take the action back to the church because they needed the piano!) I
asked if it would work to shim the letoff rail up off the action brackets
to give more clearance between the buttons and the jack toes, thus giving
me more "wiggle room" to adjust them. The letoff rail is attached directly
to the bottom of the hammer flange rail (in fact, I'm not convinced it's
not a one-piece rail serving both purposes), so the only other thing that
I can see that would be affected by shimming it up would be the height of
the hammer flanges. There is plenty of clearance between the hammer
flanges and the bottom of the pinblock, so I wouldn't create a problem
there by raising everything. It seems to me that if I don't go "hog wild"
and raise the thing a ridiculous amount, it should accomplish the goal
without any dire consequence to the action geometry. However, there was
much howling and gnashing of teeth on here when I suggested it, so I
backed off!

But all of this would mean that the action brackets were not the correct
height to begin with, and maybe I should wait to hear from Schimmel and
see if they propose sending replacement brackets.

My question for those who suggest that I check hammer bore vs. string
height is, what am I looking for? What is the ideal ratio, or am I not
understanding your suggestion? And if it's wrong, does that mean new
hammers with a corrected bore are in order?

Thanks for all the help!!   -Scott

--
Scott A. Helms, RPT
Helms Music Enterprises