Schimmel Regulation Problem

tom driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 17:08:08 -0500

  Subject: RE:Schimmel Regulation Problem

Scott, Ric,

I had the same problem with the same vintage Schimmel. Letoff buttons
turned all the way up and still excessive lettoff.
This was a regulation for performance with time contraint .
I removed the lettoff rails from the action rail, brought them to the
shop and removed (If I remember )around 1/8" from the top of these rails
with a small thumb plane.

  Yep... this is even faster as long as you can take off a consitant =
thickness and you still have enough wood for the letoff button screws to =
bit sufficiently into wood. Cant remember the exact configuration for =
Schimmels, but a Petrof I recently worked on might have experienced a =
problem with this solution. The letoff rail was screwed directly to the =
hammershank rail, and was not particularilly thick in itself.  Taking =
off say 3 mm would have required the letoff button screws to go that =
much into the hammer rail.  Maybe not a problem.. maybe the otherway =
around.

  Make sure you have clearence if you do it this way. Good solution tho =
Tom. I'll keep this one in my book of tricks.

  Cheers
  RicB
     =20
  Ric,
      Yes this rail had enough material over the tops of the letoff =
button screws to trim. I scribed a pencil line along both sides of the =
rails and planed to the line.
      I had at first thought of running them through the table saw, but =
a jig would have been necessary to hold the rail and I was rushed.=20
    I'm still wondering about the cause of this condition.
      I can understand the
     =20
  unnamed dealer here in Massachusetts allowing a poorly regulated piano =
to get out of their door, since their idea of dealer prep is to polish =
the case before delivery and also had  serviced this piano for=20
   several years without attempt to correct such an obvious condition =
(,i.e. letoff over 1/4") but its hard to imagine the manufacturer ,with =
such a great reputation, having let this piano through quality control.
      Thoughts ?
      Tom Driscoll RPT