Schimmel Regulation Problem

Sat, 05 Feb 2005 20:24:55 +0100

/Scott, Ric,

I had the same problem with the same vintage Schimmel. Letoff buttons
turned all the way up and still excessive lettoff.
This was a regulation for performance with time contraint .
I removed the lettoff rails from the action rail, brought them to the
shop and removed (If I remember )around 1/8" from the top of these rails
with a small thumb plane.
/

Yep... this is even faster as long as you can take off a consitant
thickness and you still have enough wood for the letoff button screws to
bit sufficiently into wood. Cant remember the exact configuration for
Schimmels, but a Petrof I recently worked on might have experienced a
problem with this solution. The letoff rail was screwed directly to the
hammershank rail, and was not particularilly thick in itself.  Taking
off say 3 mm would have required the letoff button screws to go that
much into the hammer rail.  Maybe not a problem.. maybe the otherway around.

Make sure you have clearence if you do it this way. Good solution tho
Tom. I'll keep this one in my book of tricks.

Cheers
RicB