aint what I signed up for

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sun, 6 Feb 2005 01:00:27 EST

List,

Wow, I go for a hike on a hazy Sunday afternoon, and come back to find an
amazing amount of mail generated by my original posting.  It was  really a whine
about a customer wanting to control my way of doing my job--which  was, in
essence, my fault for letting him get away with it.  My ignorance  in certain
matters related to the use of my ETD came through as well.

Most of the responses drifted back to the "etd vs. ear" battle that has  been
going on forever.

Thanks to everyone's input, and very different perspectives.  Ric,  Andre,
multiple Daves and Davids (many of whom, including myself, will be at the  Sacto
conference), and others, I thank all of you for invaluable insight into  the
craft we all strive to perfect.

And most of all, I  thank Brad Smith for his ability to put himself in  the
shoes of others and really hear what I was talking about and respond to it
despite my inability to articulate what it was that was really bothering me
about the whole thing.

This topic has nothing to do  with stretching octaves.   :-)
It is a matter of listening to  the client as much as listening to the piano.
I feel your pain, and none of  us is immune to this type of situation.

That's a pretty good summary of what my  encounter was all about!

Thanks again, gurus, I'll see some of  you at David Anderson's booth looking
for a bit of wisdom.

Humbly yours,

Dave Stahl