not what I signed up for

Sun, 06 Feb 2005 19:51:22 +0100

Hi Folks

Reading through many of these posts I am left very much in agreement
with Andres comments about the present  nature of discussions on this
issue. Not more then a year or so back any attempt to breach this
subject would cause emotions to fly wild amoungst several on the list,
and any chance of constructive dialog would be quickly lost.  It would
appear that the majority of readers have gotten past the more trivial
elements of this issue, and gotten to the core issues involved.

There should be no doubt in anyones mind that an highly accomplished
tuner, skilled and knowledgeable in all aspects of the trade can utilize
an ETD to create a very high quality tuning and, depending on the
particular user, sometimes faster and with greater ease.  It should also
be doubtless by now that ETD's can be a highly valuable educational tool
in more then a few manners.

Equally, I would hope anyways, it should be obvious that there are
inherent pitfalls that are related to ETD usage that should be avoided.
Some of these have been voiced in one way or another with a rather high
degree of consensus.  Few, if any at all, have advocated complete
reliance on ETDs. Few, if any at all, take issue with the basic value of
mastering the trade from an aural standpoint.

I would also argue that tho some may find aural tuning to be akin to
riding a bike, not every technician can maintain aural skills as easily
without reasonably frequent practice. As there is essentially no real
data on the matter we of course can not say one way or the other with
any degree of certainty,  but I would submit it is a valid concern until
shown statistically to be ungrounded.  I would also argue that concerns
regarding those who have never learned aural tuning being susceptible to
achieving substandard tuning results should be fairly obvious by now.
My own experiences with administrating and aiding in RPT tuning exams
were far too convincing.  And indeed... it really goes without saying...
those who do not have a formal definition in there mind as to what a
tuning is,... is about,  those who have not achieved the required level
of aural skills in ascertaining if those criteria are being met,... have
really no way of confirming whether or not the ETD tuning is acceptable
or not for any given situation. The fact that in the vast majority of
situations even a downright lousy tuning (however achieved) can suffice
does not detract from that reality.  Even if one grants that a very good
natural musical ear, combined with an ETD can achieve as a general rule
an acceptable tuning, it is just as possible this combination can become
easily confused by any given instrument, resulting in a poor tuning.

All this simply points to the simple truth that the advent of high
quality ETD's in no way frees us from the responsibilities of learning
our craft to the highest possible degree, and providing for a self
maintenance of those skills.  In all this discussion, I seem to be
reading a basic agreement on that point, albeit worded differently from
the various debatants.

Grin... and if anyone reads into this that I am somehow and ETD
opponent.... well what can I say... I am most definantly not.

Cheers

RicB