Laminated Soundboard Blues

Sun, 06 Feb 2005 20:11:04 +0100

Terry:

I would have to agree with the fellow on this point... at least with
what he is essentially saying.  But then I do not for a moment by into
the idea that you can create the exact same acoustical results with any
assortment of soundboard assembly procedures.  Some will have it you can
simply take crate board, process it into the required dimensions, rib it
any way you want... and end up with a piano that sounds <<just like>>
any particular instrument one wants to mention.

My own ears tell me this is obviously not the case. Indeed,
argumentation on the subject by advocates of this line of thinking often
go towards pointing at acoustical  differences (given some attribute of
a weakness) when touting the virtues of their own design philosophies.
One obviously can not have it both ways I am sure we would all agree.
Either there are hearable / performance / functional differences... or
there are not.

In the case of laminated soundboards... I have to date to hear one I
thought was more then minimally acceptable from a performance instrument
perspective.  That by no means says I do not believe a decent soundboard
can be achieved using laminants... it just says I've yet to run into one.

Cheers
RicB