not what I signed up for

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Mon, 07 Feb 2005 08:13:46 -0800

> David Andersen wrote:
> Here=92s what I know: doing single-mute, aural, whole-tone, open-string tun=
ing
> has exponentially expanded my ear=92s ability to remember piano tone, and m=
ade
> me a better voicer; it=92s made me a MUCH better unison tuner, much more
> precise.
> =20
> David...Glad to hear that you are still benefiting from the single mute t=
uning
> style. I still swear buy it as the most honest check & balanced approach =
> the "whole" tuning.
> Not that it only (seems) to yield a more true temperament, and not only t=
hat
> it forces you to tune a better unison, but most importantly, it forces yo=
u to
> listen on a higher plane.
> But I have found that I have to live in the real world with huge time
> constraints and circumstances can't do this on every piano. Now I use
> single-mute tuning in the same fashion I approach with a bottle of fine r=
ed
> wine....only to be used for the  SPECIAL occasions.  The level of satisfa=
ction
> I get on those special instruments where I can relax and enjoy the proces=
> brings joy like no other.
> I still have the SAT II in the case for some of the grind work I have to =
pump
> out. And there have been times when I felt that the SAT II tuning yielded=
 as
> good of a tuning as the single-mute tuning. But having the opportunity to
> listen to my work via recording takes I have been involved with,  the
> single-mute tuning runs circles around my best ETD tuning.
> Tom Servinsky

Thank you so much, Tom, for your inspiration and friendship; you are a rock
of craft and sanity on this list. And thank you for challenging me to
explore the single mute style; it has literally changed my life and my ears=
,
as you say so eloquently above.

I hope to see you and spend some more time with you soon---Kansas City,
perhaps?

David Andersen