not what I signed up for

Tom Servinsky tompiano@bellsouth.net
Sun, 6 Feb 2005 05:52:37 -0500

Re: not what I signed up forDavid Andersen wrote:
Here's what I know: doing single-mute, aural, whole-tone, open-string =
tuning has exponentially expanded my ear's ability to remember piano =
tone, and made me a better voicer; it's made me a MUCH better unison =
tuner, much more precise.

David...Glad to hear that you are still benefiting from the single mute =
tuning style. I still swear buy it as the most honest check & balanced =
approach to the "whole" tuning.=20
Not that it only (seems) to yield a more true temperament, and not only =
that it forces you to tune a better unison, but most importantly, it =
forces you to listen on a higher plane.
But I have found that I have to live in the real world with huge time =
constraints and circumstances can't do this on every piano. Now I use =
single-mute tuning in the same fashion I approach with a bottle of fine =
red wine....only to be used for the  SPECIAL occasions.  The level of =
satisfaction I get on those special instruments where I can relax and =
enjoy the process brings joy like no other.
I still have the SAT II in the case for some of the grind work I have to =
pump out. And there have been times when I felt that the SAT II tuning =
yielded as good of a tuning as the single-mute tuning. But having the =
opportunity to listen to my work via recording takes I have been =
involved with,  the single-mute tuning runs circles around my best ETD =
tuning.
Tom Servinsky

  ----- Original Message -----=20