not what I signed up for

Tom Servinsky tompiano@bellsouth.net
Mon, 7 Feb 2005 22:26:11 -0500

Re: not what I signed up forDavid,
And back at you....
Kansas City is a possibility. However I'm scheduled to be playing with a =
major recording gig and I think that's going to conflict with that time. =
Guess I need to check the calendar.
Take care and say hi to Steve Edwards for me.
Tom Servinsky
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Andersen=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Monday, February 07, 2005 11:13 AM
  Subject: Re: not what I signed up for

    David Andersen wrote:
    Here's what I know: doing single-mute, aural, whole-tone, =
open-string tuning has exponentially expanded my ear's ability to =
remember piano tone, and made me a better voicer; it's made me a MUCH =
better unison tuner, much more precise.

    David...Glad to hear that you are still benefiting from the single =
mute tuning style. I still swear buy it as the most honest check & =
balanced approach to the "whole" tuning.=20
    Not that it only (seems) to yield a more true temperament, and not =
only that it forces you to tune a better unison, but most importantly, =
it forces you to listen on a higher plane.
    But I have found that I have to live in the real world with huge =
time constraints and circumstances can't do this on every piano. Now I =
use single-mute tuning in the same fashion I approach with a bottle of =
fine red wine....only to be used for the  SPECIAL occasions. The level =
of satisfaction I get on those special instruments where I can relax and =
enjoy the process brings joy like no other.
    I still have the SAT II in the case for some of the grind work I =
have to pump out. And there have been times when I felt that the SAT II =
tuning yielded as good of a tuning as the single-mute tuning. But having =
the opportunity to listen to my work via recording takes I have been =
involved with,  the single-mute tuning runs circles around my best ETD =
tuning.
    Tom Servinsky

  Thank you so much, Tom, for your inspiration and friendship; you are a =
rock of craft and sanity on this list. And thank you for challenging me =
to explore the single mute style; it has literally changed my life and =
my ears, as you say so eloquently above.

  I hope to see you and spend some more time with you soon---Kansas =
City, perhaps?

  David Andersen