Kawai RX-2 squeaky whippens

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Tue, 8 Feb 2005 08:24:11 -0500

Keys can also give you a squeak. Dip a pipe cleaner in some teflon powder
and apply it to the balance rail hole and bushings and the front bushings on
a couple of samples and see if that takes care of it.

Dean
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Jlmatt@aol.com
  Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 2:13 AM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: Kawai RX-2 squeaky whippens

  This is about a warranty service call. The client is complaining about
noisy keys on a new RX2 she purchased in October. When I try the piano I
hear a loud leathery kind of squeak on just about every key. The first thing
that comes to my mind is jack against knuckle kind of sound.
  I take the action out, lift the hammers out of the way and push up on the
whippens by hand, the squeak is still there, so it's not the jacks and it's
not the capstans. Everything looks properly aligned, nothing seems to be
rubbing against anything but all the whippens squeak, some louder than
other, but all 88 do. I decide to take one out to get a closer look. It
looks normal, I wiggle the jack, the repetition lever, the flange, no
problem. I screw it back on the rail and then the squeak is gone!
  So all I did then was loosen every single single flange screw a couple of
turns  and screwed them back in. And that took care of the problem. But I am
still puzzled.
  Then back at the store I tried another RX-2 and sure enough, it squeaks
too. Not as loud, not as distracting, you really have to listen for it, but
it's there. I tried my trick with the flange screws on that one but it did
not make any difference.
  Any comments, ideas?

  Jean-Luc Matton, RPT  (new RPT)
  Albuquerque NM