Kawai RX-2 squeaky whippens

Jlmatt@aol.com Jlmatt@aol.com
Tue, 8 Feb 2005 02:13:27 EST

This is about a warranty service call. The client is complaining about noisy
keys on a new RX2 she purchased in October. When I try the piano I hear a loud
leathery kind of squeak on just about every key. The first thing that comes
to my mind is jack against knuckle kind of sound.
I take the action out, lift the hammers out of the way and push up on the
whippens by hand, the squeak is still there, so it's not the jacks and it's not
the capstans. Everything looks properly aligned, nothing seems to be rubbing
against anything but all the whippens squeak, some louder than other, but all 88
do. I decide to take one out to get a closer look. It looks normal, I wiggle
the jack, the repetition lever, the flange, no problem. I screw it back on the
rail and then the squeak is gone!
So all I did then was loosen every single single flange screw a couple of
turns  and screwed them back in. And that took care of the problem. But I am
still puzzled.
Then back at the store I tried another RX-2 and sure enough, it squeaks too.
Not as loud, not as distracting, you really have to listen for it, but it's
there. I tried my trick with the flange screws on that one but it did not make
any difference.
Any comments, ideas?

Jean-Luc Matton, RPT  (new RPT)
Albuquerque NM