unusual upright

Scott Helms tuner@helmsmusic.net
Wed, 9 Feb 2005 16:48:07 -0500 (EST)

Hey everybody!

I have a customer who owns a J. Bauer upright (1923) which is like nothing
I've seen before, although some of the RPT's in my chapter have seen them.
The plate struts are probably 3 or 4 inches deep, there are ribs on both
sides of the soundboard, and the bass bridge is mounted on 11 dowels that
stick out from the bridge apron - the bridge face is probably 5 or 6
inches from the soundboard! I'm sure the thing weighs a ton and a half,
considering all the extra cast iron in the plate. This brings some
questions to mind:

1. Was this an experimental design? Given the expense in manufacturing
(extra plate iron, the extra-deep cabinet, bass bridge construction, etc),
the manufacturer must have been convinced that this was a superior design.

2. All of the classes I've attended that deal with bridge construction
emphasize the importance of maximum contact between bridge and soundboard,
and yet this design relies on transmitting the bridge vibrations through
11 dowels - that doesn't add up to a whole lot of surface area. Why would
this have been considered to be a superior (or even viable) design?

3. Now for the nitty gritty - the bass bridge is cracked (not badly split
out, but loose pins)along the top pins and really should be glue-repaired.
It would definitely not be worth the expense to build a new bridge. I have
always tilted pianos to perform this repair, but do I need to be concerned
that my tilter may not handle the extra weight of this particular piano?
If so, does anybody have any suggestions for a safer way to repair the
bridge (short of making a new one)?

4. I took pictures of the piano, bridge, etc. because it was interesting
to me - is this piano enough of an oddity that it might be worth
submitting to the Journal?

I'll be interested to hear your 2 cents worth on this one!

-Scott
--
Scott A. Helms, RPT
Helms Music Enterprises