Square Grand Tuning

richard.ucci@att.net richard.ucci@att.net
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:04:48 +0000

Joe, thanks for the input. I'm about 5'7" and have had lower back problems in the past(moving too many pianos with the old man years ago.) I'm thinking I should not schedule any other tunings after this one that day.

RU/UP

-------------- Original message from "Joe Garrett" <joegarrett@earthlink.net>: --------------

Rick Ucci asked: "I'll be tuning my first square grand next week. Any tips or advice would be welcome. Do I need an oblong tip or anything like that? What about the proper pitch to set it at?"

Rick,
Two responses come to my mind: 1. If you have to asked, you shouldn't be doing it. 2. Ya have to get your feet wet sometime, but you need someone to mentor you, to avoid the MANY pitfalls of this type of tuning.
Just preparing the piano and yourself for this, is a whole different process, than "regular tuning". Proceed VERY cautiously. Stock up on pain killers.<G>
How tall are you? (yes, it is important!)
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I