Steinway Agraffe problem

Marshall Connolly falcone1132@tmlp.com
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:11:37 -0500

I was called in to assess (and hopefully) repair a broken agraffe in a =
Steinway B at a local college.  The agraffe "malfunction" occurred =
during the last tuning, and the tuner attempted to drill out the =
agraffe, but rather than drilling, and using an easy-out to remove the =
broken portion, she and her husband tried to simply drill out the hole =
in the plate.

They drilled with a bit larger than the original agraffe hole, and now =
even the largest of my agraffe assortment isn't large enough to fill the =
hole after retapping.  I am left thinking that the only remedy may be to =
retap and have a machinist fabricate an agraffe, as the Steinway =
agraffes simply swim around in this hole. =20

Any recommendations about remedying this problem (shy of replacing the =
plate) would be truly appreciated.

Marshall Connolly
Boston Chapter #12836