Brand new Hamburg Steinway O

Tom Servinsky tompiano@bellsouth.net
Sun, 13 Feb 2005 08:49:01 -0500

Steinway had the customer's best interest at stake. Bravo Steinway!
Tom Servinsky
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Sarah Fox=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Sunday, February 13, 2005 1:41 AM
  Subject: Re: S&S "A" made in US again

  Hi Cy,

  >>Lastly, this strange defense of soundboard cracks from William Braid =
White:

    >>http://steinway.com/technical/soundboard.shtml

    Hmmmm...  Yes....  Well, the argument would almost seem to hold =
water for a rib crowned board.  However, (and sticking to the "holding =
water" analogy <grin>), saying that a SB's loss of efficiency is =
proportional to its loss in area is a bit like saying a rusted water =
pipe's loss of ability to hold pressure is proportional to its loss of =
wall surface area.  Nonsense!  It's a lot more complicated than that.  =
Try making the board twice as big and drilling out half of the wood =
(i.e. a Swiss cheese soundboard).  It should be just as efficient =
according to their argument, right?  Wrong!  It would be so acoustically =
"leaky" that it wouldn't radiate much power.

    However, all things considered, I suspect the total loss of power in =
a cracked RC soundboard isn't all that significant, nonsensical =
acoustical arguments notwithstanding.

    Peace,
    Sarah