Our good old ETD's

Quentin Codevelle quentin.codevelle@tiscali.fr
Sun, 13 Feb 2005 20:00:47 +0100

Hello Hubert,

Maybe using machines instead of human aptitudes to make something is =
something people in France are not used to.

The customers can be very reluctant to this, but also a lot of techs, =
who really don't consider these devices as a second pair of ears, or as =
an aid to make their job.

I believe too that customers education is really important in this =
field, but I think that when they see the tuner using an ETD, they are a =
kind of disappointed, because in their minds, piano tuners are making =
something magic with their ears, and they truly believe that very few =
people are able to tune pianos.

So this exactly deals with customer education.

I consider the old ETD's I've shown in my post to be good enough to tune =
3 or 4 times the pianos that have just been restrung.
In France, I have learned to make "pickings"(with action removed) to =
raise the pitch of the restrung pianos very quickly with the help of the =
ETD, and then, when the piano holds the A440 pitch quite well, we tune =
it with the action.

For this purpose, I think the oldies can make their job.

But of course, it is a totally different thing when fine-tuning a piano =
with one of these oldies.

About the steps needed to operate an ETD, the Verituner seems to be the =
best ETD as it looks like a "ready to use" ETD (like a plug-n-play =
device on a computer), on the contrary to Tunelab which requires some =
Inharmonicity measurements when we encounter any new stringing scale.
I don't know RCT at all, because there is no trial version available. I =
've just seen how it looks visually, but it is a bad thing that we =
cannot test it for free before buying it.

Does anyone has a visual of the Sat III? I don't know how it looks like, =
which room is required in the toolbox for this device, etc...

For me, the advantage of the Tunelab program is in the compatibility =
with the pocket pc system !
The pocket pc becomes an ETD, calendar, appointment reminder, and a way =
to create a customer file, with the phone numbers, etc... that's what I =
like in this system.

And finally, the pocket pc is so small compared to the Verituner or the =
Yamaha PT100 for example.
But according to Andre, the Verituner is (quote) "100% better than any =
other device".
I answered him it is 100% more expensive than any other device, or not =
so far to it ! so for the moment, Tunelab will be great for me. I hope =
it will help me to improve my aural skills.

Quentin