More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 07:34:27 -0800

I've always thought of the "uniquely different" line as a euphemism for
"we can't really control with great reliability what will happen".
Since we are assuming that the RC&S boards are able to reduce the range
of variability (I'll assume no system is entirely perfect), to what
degree do you think there are differences within the RC&S boards due to
basic differences in the, for example, piece of spruce that ends up
being the panel itself, or other things that I can't think of at the
moment.

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Ron Nossaman
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2005 5:05 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: RE: More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

>However, what I would like to know (without having to take on the
>impossible--for me at present--task of trying to build two boards in
>order to compare), is whether, all other things being equal and for the
>period that they are functioning to their capacity, the RC&S and the CC
>board are acoustically equivalent.

What two CC boards coming out of the Steinway NY factory are
acoustically
equivalent? Much mileage is given to the concept of the uniquely
individualistic nature of each piano produced by these methods. Why do
you
suppose that is? Why don't we turn this around and see if anyone can
produce CC boards that are acoustically equivalent to a good RC&S board?

Whatever that may be. Again, if there is a meaningful acoustic
difference
between these two construction methods, one should be able to tell by
listening, which method was used. If they both sound good, they both
sound
good.

Ron N