More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:08:40 -0600

>I don't want to turn this into a discussion about which is better.

I don't either, and wasn't attempting to. I thought I was answering the
question.

>  While I
>have not heard enough RC&S boards to draw a conclusion, I am beginning
>to think that t          heremaybeasubtledifference.Ican'ttellyou
>exactly what that is, or even if it is for sure.  But I am wondering.

There very well may be. A re-designed RC&C board put into a Steinway has
the same rim, only more rigidly braced than the original, probably with a
substantial bass cutout that wasn't there before, and also possibly a fish
that wasn't there in the original. It also will likely have a different
string scale, very likely with smaller core wires and a C-8 speaking length
of 52-54mm, rather than the 46-50mm found in the original. All things being
equal, all things other than the soundboard aren't likely to be equal. Yes,
the RC&S remanufactured instrument might very well sound different from the
original, but so might another original of the same model. That was my
point. I don't know any difference that might be heard that would indicate
whether the board was CC or RC&S, as much because that isn't the only
difference as anything. I do know that at higher attack levels, the RC&S
boards with the other changes tend to be very difficult to overdrive into
distortion, but that's not unheard of in a good CC board too.

>So my question is not meant as an attack on any particular method, it's
>more a question of whether or not there might be a reason that the ribs
>contributing more to the stiffness of the assembly than the panel in the
>two systems might not produce some acoustical difference and if so, why.
>I'd like to start there.
>
>David Love

It wasn't taken as an attack. I just plain don't know, and no one else who
hasn't done direct comparisons with no other differences will know either.
I thought I had already indicated that I couldn't tell by listening whether
a soundboard assembly was CC or RC&S.

Ron N