More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:26:30 +0100

I really see no need to bring into question that different pianos have a
distinctive sound all there own. Despite variabitity from instrument to
isntrument, most (if not all) quality makes have something about their sound
that makes them identifiable just by that sound alone, and there are plenty
of folks around who can demonstrate a very high degree of accuracy in doing
so.  Bluther, Bechstein, Grotrian, Yamaha... a host of them.

Putting words to describe verbally what is sensed aurally is at best an
exercise in verbal communication.  Describe the colour of a Vesuvian Sunset.
You get the point.  Yet with practice... its amazing what the ear is able to
discern. Try it yourself... recordings of pianos are a good place to start.

Cheers
RicB

Could someone please tell me what the "authentic Steinway sound" is?  I
really haven't a clue.  I've heard wonderful Steinways, mediocre
Steinways and some truly dreadful ones.  I can't tell what is common to
all of those.

dave

David M. Porritt