unusual upright pics

Scott Helms tuner@helmsmusic.net
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 13:38:05 -0500 (EST)

Hi Joe et al -

Actually, this is a 1923 J.Bauer upright that I've been posting about for
a week or two on the list - guess you might have missed that discussion,
but the comments were about the unusually thick plate struts, the ribs on
both sides of the soundboard, and particularly the construction of the
bass bridge on these dowels that stick out a good 4" from the soundboard.
Mark Ritchie suggests that these pianos are "rare as hen's teeth" and
might be one of their reverse crown boards. I'm not familiar with that
design, but would like to write a journal article about it, so if anybody
has any info to share, I'd love to hear it (anybody contributing
information that appears in print will be duly recognized!)
--
Scott A. Helms, RPT
Helms Music Enterprises