More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:19:29 +0100

Hi Sarah

Intersting post as usual. I find much that harmonizes with my own
thinking in it. Especially this last paragraph which I include below. It
is indeed hard to argue the fact that there are quite obviously several
different ways of going about this whole SB problem, and equally
difficult to argue the fact that in the hands of a competant builder,
each can perform wonderfully... each in their own distinctive way.  I
enjoy the heck out of all the enlightening discussion that describes
some of the mechanics, or at least some of what is thought to be the
mechanics of the different approaches. But, like David Love, I am far
less interested in hearing about who thinks this or that method is
best.  Pros and Cons there are... which means just that. There is always
a trade off.

Hybrid ??... I suggested something of a hybrid some while back...and got
promptly scoffed at for it here... but to repeat just for your
edification, I suggested inserting a strip of soundboard material, cut
to match the upper flange of each rib, between the rib and soundboard...
as a kind of compression buffer.  One would dry the panel out as usual
in a CC board, and dry out the buffer material to only about 6 % MC.
Glue the ribs and buffer material together (grain in buffer material in
the same direction as the soundboard) and then the assembled buffered
ribs to the panel and let the whole thing take on moisture.   Seemed
like a reasonable enough idea to at least try out.  I did exactly this
with a few peices of left over material from the old Knudsen Piano
factory... and it crowned nicely enough.  Tho I susppose I should have
glued the thing to some kind of a simulated rim and put the thing under
compression to see what would happen... maybe next time.

The idea was simply to provide a bit more longitudinal elastisicity in
the ribs themselves.  I still beleive there is some, which you seem to
aggree with, and that the tension that must be present in the rib
strains against any increase in compression from the panel...
effectively supporting crown.  I find no real conflict between this and
the point that the ribs actually do resist being bent... essentially
fighting crown in a completly different sense.

Cheers
RicB

Personally, I'm a big fan of the expressiveness of the American Golden Age
pianos, and perhaps some of the expressiveness in these pianos derives from
the inefficiencies of the CC board.  On the other hand, it's hard to argue
against the longevity, stability, and treble response properties of an RC/S
board.  It's equally hard to argue against the smooth, brooding qualities of
one of Ron Overs' beautiful pianos!  It would be very interesting if someone
were to experiment with a hybrid board, combining the properties of CC and
RC/S.  (Would that even be possible? Perhaps RC/S in the treble end and CC
elsewhere?  Perhaps a split board, joined at the rib???)  Or how about a
different sort of board entirely?  How about a violin-like board that has
its crown milled/sculpted into the wood like a very shallow bowl, lightly
supported/stabilized with smaller, shaped ribs?  How about a RC/S board with
an electromagnetic low-pass damping device that would slowly dissipate
higher partials?  So many fun possibilities!  Fascinating stuff!  :-)

Peace,
Sarah