More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 00:11:32 -0500

Hi Ric,

It took me quite a while to wrap my brain around what you were suggesting.
OK, I think I get you -- sort of a footing to each rib, made up of SB
material.  The additional stiffness would come from the additional
mechanical advantage of the panel on the rib.  Of course with this
arrangement, the total amount of crowning would be less dramatic, but on the
other hand, it would take greater downbearing to flatten the thing.  I agree
that the concept of having wood compression and rib deformation fighting
each other is on the surface a bit counterproductive!  Of course if these
were perfect springs, it wouldn't really matter.

Perhaps what is *really* important is that the mechanical properties of the
wood differ according to the magnitude of compression.  A panel indeed
undergoes compression as an RC/S board deflects towards the floor, and the
increment in compression is even greater than that for a CC board, assuming
the ribs are taller.  However, this compression may be more in the "elastic"
range of the wood, while the compression increment in the CC board ventures
even further into inelasticity.  It is in the more inelastic zone that
hysteresis would be more evident.  In fact it is in this zone that
distortion might be more of a factor.  Is distortion a bad thing?  Well, yes
and/or no.  Ask any electric guitarist about distortion, and you'll get a
very long discourse on the merits of tubes vs. transistors, soft clipping
vs. hard clipping, clipping vs. no clipping, etc., etc.   They're after a
sound, and distortion of a particular flavor is how they get it.  Anyway, I
bet someone on this list has done some testing of the in/elastic properties
of RC/S vs. CC board designs.

I also wonder whether a CC board that has lost its crown starts to take on
some of the acoustic properties of a really lousy RC/S board -- one with no
crown and inadequate stiffness.  Perhaps when the crown is lost, the
inelasticities of the highly compressed panel are also lost, and so the
distortion, hysteresis, temporal variation in tone, etc. (perhaps
"desirable" properties) would be lost.

What I was thinking when I suggested a hybrid board was literally two panels
fitted together.  Imagine a CC board from, say, the lower treble downwards,
ending at a half-rib (split lengthwise, that is).  Join that half-rib to the
half rib at the edge of a RC/S board for the lower treble and upwards.  That
would give the longevity of crown and higher sustain in the problem areas,
with acoustic coupling that would give the entire board some
damping/hysteresis/distortion properties of the CC board, if only by virtue
of the fact that vibrations would bleed back and forth across the board
joint.  It might yield a classic CC sound with most of the benefits of RC/S.
Perhaps???

Peace,
Sarah