Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

Arnold Duin aduin@euronet.nl
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 23:38:59 +0100

Hello Ron,

> Are any manufacturers fitting the bridges to the panel after the
> board is glued in?

There are probably no manufacturers who are doing that but there are
way's to achieve enough clamping pressure to effectly fix the bridge to
the soundboard in the treble side. The purpose of this exercise was,
together with  pressing the soundboard in the cavity of the outer rim
to get some extra compression along the grain.

>built with a reduced height of the treble bridge extended out, to over
>the  inner rim, in the treble corner. Bösendorfer has done this for
>many years,

Bösendorfer still build their instrument this way although I understand
they changed that concept for (some) of their  newer models.
I hope it will give you the little extra you need and it will work with
your design because I also heard examples which didn't work at all.
In our workshop we are currently working on a older Bosendorfer with  a
treble bridge not only glued but fastened with a big screw. ( I will
try to include some pictures). The bridge is 38mm wide and 31mm height.
And if you think that is bulky I will include a picture of a piano
bridge which is 36mm wide and about 65mm high.An exiting example  of a
piano with a completely opposite design in the treble too.(the bridge
is cut away some 9 unisons) And if you are wondering about the sound in
this part: the sound is wonderful.

> Fazioli is one who must have fitted the bridges before the ribs on
> some of his instruments.

 I agree. I also think that Steinway is using this method.

Although they are at low resolution I hope you will like the pictures.

Arnold

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: trebleBos.JPG
Type: image/jpeg