More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:09:08 -0800

I think there are those who when put to a rebuilding request by a
customer need to try and recreate a "Steinway sound" but might wish to
employ what has been represented as a more reliable method than CC.  But
if the RC&S method produces its own unique characteristics and is, as
you say, something which certainly didn't sound like a Steinway, then it
would be good to know whether those differences are inherent in the
differences between the two methods or simply a matter of customizing a
particular design.  I think Sarah pointed out what might be some
considerations in those differences.  I can't address those issues with
any real knowledge as I am not an engineer and lack adequate experience.
But I can hear differences between different types of pianos and I am
interested in exploring the topic further even if it is only in a
speculative manner.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

Ron O wrote:

Outside of the extensive 'cloning' school, who would want to build an
authentic Steinway sound - I certainly don't? And I don't expect to see
an RC&S  boarded instrument on the Carnegie Hall concert platform
anytime soon. I certainly have no interest in fooling anybody. Besides,
if you built a different design into a Steinway piano and failed to
acknowledge it on the piano, you'd have the S&S legal team trying to put
you out of business ASAP. I and a number of others have experience this
potential drama first hand. Fortunately, I always fix a label to the
piano stating any modifications, so their team had nothing to stand on
in 1996. I've already built an RC&S board into a D and, as expected, it
certainly didn't sound like a Steinway.