More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

Tue, 15 Feb 2005 00:15:39 +0100

Yes.. this line has come round more then once as well....

Point being Ron, there are all these claims being made as how easy and
straightforward it must be to create the acoustic equivalent of a CC
board by using such a completely different method as the RC&S method
is...  In effort to evade the <<differences>> argumentation we've  seen :

1: acoustical  variances within assemblies using same crowning method used
2: disregard of pianos makes having their own distinct sound
3: redirection of the causes of this same to having to do with things
other then the soundboard
4: disregard for the possibility that the compression of the panel
itself can influence sound
5: despite the lack of <<meaningful acoustic differences>> RC&S
assemblies can lay claim to being more "responsive and efficient",
"brighter" and able to yield  more sustain.  (no doubt these are not
qualified as acoustical performance differences since none seem to exist
to begin with)
6: And finally, when put to it.... a  true test of all of the above ...
keeping all other things equal but the method of crowning alone in an
attempt to recreate the same sound in a Steinway D.... is simply brushed
off as being undesirable... because of legal difficulties, because the
Steinway sound is not desirable to recreate to begin with,  and
anyways... despite the fact that RC&S boards have essentially the same
acoustical characteristics... they sound different after all... as
expected...

I just love it.

Sorry... but for me this isnt about proving which method is better. I
refute entirely the concept to begin with. Its just about demonstrating
the very very obvious.  There are several ways of going about the
problem of building a soundboard. Each will result in an assembly with
its own particular set of acoustical characteristics... and whoever
likes whatever best is perfectly justified in doing so.

Viva la differanse !

RicB

>/When someone makes a RC&S board and puts it into a Steinway D rim,
/>/and puts the darned thing on the stage of Carnegie Hall and fools
/>/everyone with its <<authentic Steinway sound>>
/
Outside of the extensive 'cloning' school, who would want to build an
authentic Steinway sound - I certainly don't? And I don't expect to
see an RC&S  boarded instrument on the Carnegie Hall concert platform
anytime soon. I certainly have no interest in fooling anybody.
Besides, if you built a different design into a Steinway piano and
failed to acknowledge it on the piano, you'd have the S&S legal team
trying to put you out of business ASAP. I and a number of others have
experience this potential drama first hand. Fortunately, I always fix
a label to the piano stating any modifications, so their team had
nothing to stand on in 1996. I've already built an RC&S board into a
D and, as expected, it certainly didn't sound like a Steinway.