More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 19:14:56 -0800

So then, if I understand what you are saying, how do you (or anyone
else) imagine that the balance between the fundamental and partials
might be affected by CC versus RC&S?  Might the RC&S tend to produce a
stronger fundamental with weaker overtones?

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Sarah Fox
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2005 8:50 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

Hi Terry,

> I don't know how the numbers would actually work out in
> a working soundboard, but perhaps its not inconceivable that a CC
board
> could end up with similar stiffness as a RC&S board - by varying panel
> thickness or whatever - maybe it's just that stiffness is achieved in
part
> by different means (and that may only be a small percentage of total
> stiffness).
>
> If what I am suggesting holds any water at all, it may be then that
the
> two
> systems might not necessarily produce greatly divergent tonal
qualities.

I'm just speculating, like the rest of y'all, but...

I don't think total stiffness is the whole story.  With a CC board, the
stiffness is a function of cross-grain compression, and the elasticity
is
with respect to a directionality of compression for which the tree (that

grew the wood) was ill equipped -- a crushing force from the side.  The
tension, on the other hand (and there must be tension to oppose the
compression) is in the ribs and runs longitudinally with the grain (the
way
the tree was built to handle it).  There is also some
tension/compression in
the rim, in the direction of the grain.  In all this mess, there is a
mix of
very elastic elements (longitudinally tensioned/compressed fibers) and
less
elastic elements (transversely compressed fibers).  Those less elastic
elements are going to "modify" vibrations in the entire structure by
"soaking up" (or more accurately dissipating) vibrational energy.  How
will
the vibrations be "modified?"  I don't know exactly.  My guess is that
there
is hysteresis that would dissipate higher frequencies much faster than
lower
frequencies, resulting in a "mellowing" of the tone.

In a RC/S board, tension/compression runs completely in the direction
the
Great Goddess intended -- longitudinally.  Trees were designed to be
very
sturdy and elastic in that direction.  Vibration will not be damped so
much
by hysteresis in the system, although there will still be *some*
hysteresis.
I would think a RC/S board, therefore, would tend to be more "brilliant"
or
"bright."

Of course  there's another very important factor in all this mix:
voicing.
Side by side, CC and RC/S pianos are going to be voiced by the same
technician to have the same tonal outcome in mind.  I suspect a CC
piano's
hammers are going to be inherently brighter than a RC/S piano's in order
achieve a similar tone.  However, I also suspect the upper partials on a

note played on a RC/S piano will sustain longer, retaining more of the
the
"brightness" of the sound throughout the note's duration.  So while the
sound may be similar on attack, it may differ on sustain.  The
difference
may be very subtle.  Perhaps all things being equal, the sustain in the
high
treble of a RC/S piano will also be inherently longer, due to less
hysteresis in the system.

If all this is true, a CC and RC/S piano may have somewhat different
flavors
in performance.  A CC piano may feel/sound slightly brighter during
faster
passages and darker during slower passages, with melody delineated more
clearly from accompaniment.  A RC/S piano might be more uniform and
overall
better suited for more "brilliant" works (acoustically brilliant, that
is).

Of course this is all just arm chair speculation on my part.  Does any
of
this jibe with what y'all have experienced in the field?

Personally, I'm a big fan of the expressiveness of the American Golden
Age
pianos, and perhaps some of the expressiveness in these pianos derives
from
the inefficiencies of the CC board.  On the other hand, it's hard to
argue
against the longevity, stability, and treble response properties of an
RC/S
board.  It's equally hard to argue against the smooth, brooding
qualities of
one of Ron Overs' beautiful pianos!  It would be very interesting if
someone
were to experiment with a hybrid board, combining the properties of CC
and
RC/S.  (Would that even be possible? Perhaps RC/S in the treble end and
CC
elsewhere?  Perhaps a split board, joined at the rib???)  Or how about a

different sort of board entirely?  How about a violin-like board that
has
its crown milled/sculpted into the wood like a very shallow bowl,
lightly
supported/stabilized with smaller, shaped ribs?  How about a RC/S board
with
an electromagnetic low-pass damping device that would slowly dissipate
higher partials?  So many fun possibilities!  Fascinating stuff!  :-)

Peace,
Sarah