More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 00:54:11 -0500

Hi David,

> So then, if I understand what you are saying, how do you (or anyone
> else) imagine that the balance between the fundamental and partials
> might be affected by CC versus RC&S?  Might the RC&S tend to produce a
> stronger fundamental with weaker overtones?

I suspect that with the right hammer voicing, the sound of the attack would
be very similar, with the difference in sound becoming more apparent as the
note sustains -- with the CC board's sound becoming darker faster.  (But
again, I'm speculating, not having had the chance to hear CC vs. RC/S on
similar pianos in the same room.)

Regarding your second question...  If the RC/S board doesn't require as
bright a hammer to produce sparkly highs, perhaps the voicing technician has
more latitude to voice the hammer to emphasize the fundamentals.  The result
of the RC/S design may well be a richer sound spectrum.  Of course that
would be my apriori assumption about any design that is more efficient.  In
answer to your question, I suspect an RC/S board would be more capable of
producing whatever tonal qualities the voicing technician wished to achieve,
whether it is a darker sound (stronger fund. and weak overtones) or a
brighter sound (weak fund. and strong overtones).  My point was/is that the
more rapid changes in spectral content throughout a note's sustain on a CC
board might result in a desirable expressive quality to that design.

When considering the efficiency of board design, I immediately think back to
that steel soundboard I heard in the 5 lessons (???) series.  That board of
course was a very efficient design, so much so that the treble notes rang
like bells, while the bass had a rich, brooding quality.  It was an
interesting instrument, to be sure!  However, it didn't sound entirely like
a piano.  There comes a point that we depart so much from an established
design that the sound is no longer identifiable with the parent instrument,
and the expressive qualities and distinctive tonal properties of that
instrument are lost.  I don't believe that is the case with the RC/S board,
but I am suggesting that we *might* (heavy emphasis on this word) be taking
a very tiny step in a direction that loses some of the expressiveness we
enjoy in the piano.  That step may well be in the direction of what we would
like to have in a different sort of instrument -- perhaps the next
generation in the piano family -- more melodic, less percussive.  I would
really love the opportunity, some day, to see the finest of both worlds side
by side in the same room -- to better understand their relative merits.

I have no crystal ball, and I have no idea where piano evolution will take
us.  I just hope/pray it's not in the direction of uniformity (as it was
with the violin).  More than any other instrument, the piano has a
"personality" and a "soul."  If people were all the same, they would be
incredibly boring; the same holds for the piano!

Peace,
Sarah