Spinet horizontal side separation

Greg Graham grahampianos@yahoo.com
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:54:44 -0800 (PST)

Hello list.

I need some advice on an unusual (for me) repair.  New
customer called about a piano that came with the house
they just purchased.  It is a 1954 Wurlitzer spinet
with naugahyde top and sides.  The case sides are two
parts: a short vertical side from floor to the bottom
of the keydesk, and horizontal sides from the keydesk
to the top and from the back to the front of the
keyslip.

The glue joints on both of the upper, horizontal sides
have separated from the back frame.  The entire
keyboard and action are floating, resting on top of
the lower sides, which appear to remain solidly glued,
and the spindly little spinet legs in front.

We discovered the problems when we tried to move the
piano away from the wall, but only the top half moved.

My first reaction was to send it to the dump.  But
closer inspection revealed a very clean instrument,
with excellent pinblock and bridge condition, clean
felt, and excellent case appearance.  The only thing
wrong with it is the case separation.

I have read discussions in the archives about
spreading the sides, inserting epoxy, and using pipe
clamps to reattach the sides to the back.  I think
folks have also used pipe clamps across the front to
keep the sides parallel.  Do I need to worry about
this if the keydesk is still holding the sides
together in front?

I intend to bid doing the work in the client's home,
since the cost of a move to/from my shop would
probably exceed the value of the instrument, combined
with the actual repair.

Please help me with my check list:

1. Gather long clamps and other heavy duty tools, work
table, (tilter?)
2. Spread double layer dropcloth (fabric over plastic)
to catch excess epoxy.
3. Remove action, any removable case parts. Keys.
Keyframe?
4. Slide sides and keydesk forward, away from
remainder of piano and sand off old glue from sides
and back.
5. Paint on very thin epoxy to both surfaces, letting
it soak in.
6. Slide the sides back on and squeeze in thick epoxy
pastry-bag style?  Push it in with a thin blade?
Other?
7. Pad the naugahyde sides with 2x4 blocks and clamp
across the back with three or four pipe clamps.
8. Clean up and leave.
9. Come back next day and remove clamps, reinstall
action, basic regulation as needed.

Did I forget anything?  Do I need deep-reach pipe
clamps?  Should I use wedge-shaped 2x4 blocks to
compensate for pipe clamp arching? Are 3/4 inch pipe
clamps sufficient? Am I nuts for even thinking about
it, or is this "something we do every day, ma'am"?

8 hours total? 4? 16?

Any tricks for alignment?

Thanks,
Greg Graham