CA PTG Convention

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:29:31 -0800

That's IlvedsOn to you...for what I could hear in the din of the=
 Piano Fair the M&H was very nice.   I thought the new M&H 9 fter=
 was tinny sounding...probably not prepped...Dale's was beautiful=
 but again too much noise...I was unable to hear either of the=
 concerts...

David IlvedsOn

Original message
From: David Andersen
To: Pianotech
Subject: CA PTG Convention

Hey, kids-------

Got back yesterday (Monday AM) at 4:30---driving up the Tejon=
 Pass in the slow, SLOW lane in a low-power U-Haul truck with my=
 fantastic, HEAVY M&H CC strapped to the right side of this POS,=
 under-powered dog, which had already left me stranded earlier=
 that night with a dead battery in a rest stop right in the=
 middle of frickin=92 nowhere---hey: are we having fun yet?

That said, the convention, for me and especially for my=
 booth-sharing brother in crime Dale Erwin, was a luminous,=
 triumphant time.  His rebuilt, new-board 1928 Steinway D, side=
 by side with my old-board Mason & Hamlin CC, were really kind of=
 the buzz of the show, and on Saturday I was witness to one of=
 the best concerts I have ever heard---on  Dale=92s D. It was in a=
 400-seat, sweet little auditorium, and the program was Gershwin,=
 played by a world-class pianist, Richard Glazer, who has=
 dedicated his professional and personal life to the music of=
 George and Ira Gershwin.

To say that Dale=92s D was triumphant, shining, beautiful,=
 powerful---it doesn=92t quite get it. A concert grand=92s true power=
 to amaze doesn=92t come out unless the artist is capable, and=
 loving the instrument.. It crashes; it screams; it whispers; it=
 sings. The true power of THIS piano was evident from the first=
 note of the concert to the last----it was certainly one of the=
 two or three best instruments I have ever heard in concert in 40=
 years. I was completely, and I mean completely blown away.  So=
 was everybody else in the room; before the last number, the=
 pianist turned to the audience and said something to the effect=
 that this was a truly great piano, that it could do anything he=
 asked it to; that it had shown him colors and tonal shadings he=
 had never heard before; that it almost played itself; that he=
 was so inspired that he would now play the entire =93Rhapsody in=
 Blue=94 suite, uninterrupted, and =93give it my best, my all.=94  Wow.=
 I have never heard anything like it in my life.
The audience would not stop clapping and yelling.

My friends, there is a true artisan in Modesto, California.  To=
 be able to make a piano sound and feel this beautiful, not only=
 in the shop, but on the stage, is the work of a rare, rare=
 artist.  I am humbly grateful to be the friend, student, peer=
 and collaborator of Dale Erwin.

This was Dale=92s FIRST attempt at installing a new board in a D,=
 which makes it all that much more mind-blowing.

In the near future, and for as long as he=92s working, artists and=
 appreciators will beat a path to this man=92s door from all over=
 the world, begging him to let them put their fingers on his=
 beautiful spawn.
God willing, I=92ll be there smiling and sticking my head inside=
 the pianos to feel and hear the beauty.

Gotta go to work; more later.

Dave Stahl, David Ilvedsen, Jurgen Goering, Carl Meyer, Vladan,=
 Terry Miller, Bob Davis---great to see you pianotech list=
 guys....and Ilvedsen is actually a good, good player; tell =91em=
 about my big beast, Dave....

Best to all....
David Andersen
Malibu, CA