More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 23:22:05 -0800

One more thought, for now.

We already know about things that could go wrong with a CC board.  Here
I'd like to speculate about something that could go wrong with a RC&S
board, and I'd appreciate any comments.  Typically, as I understand it,
the RC&S panel is dried down to about 6.5% EMC so that the panel
undergoes relatively less compression and the panel itself is therefore
somewhat less stiff.  If for some reason, the panel, say, were not to be
dried down adequately, then the stiffness of the assembly could still be
achieved because the ribs, bearing most of the load, could still be
compressed and bear much of the load.  All seems fine.  But because the
panel was not adequately prepared, the stiffness normally achieved by
the panel itself would be somewhat less and its contribution to tone
production would be altered.  A softer panel with altered impedance
characteristics might require a softer hammer with its own upper
partials dampening effects.  The softer panel itself might also have the
effect of dampening the upper partials to some degree.  This combined
effect of softer hammer, softer panel, might produce a tone that while
having adequate power (loudness) might not have the balance of partials
to make the tone interesting, lively, expressive, you choose your
favorite word.  So control of the panel's EMC, while seemingly not as
critical for purposes of achieving stiffness in the assembly overall,
might still be very critical in order to achieve a certain tonal
balance.

The next question:  How much stiffness is required in the panel itself
to produce a desirable balance of partials or will cause the necessary
use of a hammer of enough firmness and density to accentuate the upper
partials the degree necessary.  Another way to say it is: producing a
soundboard which requires only a very soft hammer to drive it may limit
the expressive quality of the instrument.