More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:26:34 -0500

Hi David,

Interesting questions, but I have to admit that you've gone far beyond my
realm of expertise.  You're talking practice, while I'm talking theory.

All I can offer is a few general insights.  In rather oversimplified
terms...

The hammer delivers an impulse to the string.  Depending on the softness of
the hammer and its velocity of impact, there will be a certain function of
force over time.  If you do a spectral analysis on that impact function
(e.g. a Fourier analysis), you'll get information about which frequency
components are present in the impact, and in what amplitude.  This impact is
a source of broadband energy.  It lacks periodicity and harmonicity and
therefore is not a "note."  However, it may be centered around a certain
frequency range and may have a general "pitch," used in a loose sense.

When this impulse is delivered into the string, the string vibrates, but it
only vibrates to the spectral components of the impulse corresponding to its
free resonant frequenies -- the fundamental and its harmonics.  Thus, the
string is a filter, storing some of the energy from the impulse.  The rest
of the energy is dissipated, including into surrounding strings
(acoustically coupled through the bridge).  This corresponds to the "whack"
of the hammer.  (Everyone knows that a "whack" to any part of a piano will
excite the strings throughout the instrument.)

Then the string vibrates the bridge and SB.  Depending on the mass and
stiffness of these elements, energy will be bled from the vibrating string
to the panel and into the air, with much of the energy of course being lost
to friction.

Now, the magic of making all this work is to have the proper relationship
between spectral components.  The hardness of the hammer should be such as
to deliver the correct spectrum of impulse into the strings, to excite the
SB with the optimum balance of harmonics.  The tighter the match between the
free resonant frequency of the string and the free resonant frequency of the
underlying SB/bridge, the faster energy will be dissipated through the
system.  That means higher amplitude and shorter sustain.  It is this
interface that *must* be inefficient.  How inefficient?  Well, that's where
piano building becomes an art, not a science.

If you want to know how the SB responds to vibration, just deliver an
impulse to it.  Literally, unscrew a hammer and whack the top of the bridge
with it -- or perhaps just beside the bridge.  That tells you what is in the
board, when the element of energy storage (the string) is removed.  You can
get fancy and do a spectral analysis on it, or you can just listen carefully
and identify the balance of frequency components with your ear.  A SB that
is less responsive to a given spectral range will of course need more energy
within that range to excite it, but this can be accomplished.  I can't
really answer your questions about the spectral properties of RC/S vs. CC,
except in a general, theoretical sense.  My only point at the beginning of
this discussion was that I would expect more of a spectral shift towards
lower frequencies in a CC board throughout the sustain of a note.  I would
*guess* that a RC/S board would have broader response properties, but only a
"whack" analysis would answer that question!  ;-)  And I haven't a clue
about the mechanical properties of hammer felt.  That is what goes into
shaping the impulse, which is arguably the most important element in a
piano's tone production.

I would think that if a hammer can produce the desired spectrum in its
impulse, and if the string can efficiently store that energy, the board can
then dissipate the energy.  The only question is one of how fast and how
efficiently.  This question must be addressed separately for each partial of
a note.  The sustain for each partial will have a different duration,
depending on the properties of the SB -- which was the underlying point of
my original post (the higher partials being more subject to damping from
hysteresis).

To say that the piano is a complicated acoustical device is an enormous
understatement!! ;-)

Peace,
Sarah