Country units

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 04:26:00 -0600

Carl,

At 22:59 2/15/2005, you wrote:
>" Great devices for having people understand technical jargon. "We who are
>techs., assume that most people can understand what we're talking about
>when we say pitch raise. Telling someone that their piano is 50 cents flat,
>almost always gets that glazed over look.

For that situation, I usually say that the pitch is right in the middle of
the crack between the keys.

>   I often tell peole that because their piano is flat, it will have to be
> tuned 2 or 3 times to get it to settle at pitch.
>It is similar to painting a plaster wall , which hasn't seen paint for 10
>or 20
>years. You know  what happens to the first coat ?  Well almost all people
>will say that the paint seems to sink into the plaster,  but the next coat
>usually
>makes a bigger difference.  Of course , it isn't unusual to have to paint
>a third
>time, if you really want a good job.  Most times , 2 tunings are pretty
>good, and
>will suffice till the next scheduled tuning, say in 6 months or so. If in
>a concert
>setting, one might have to tune maybe 3 or 4 times that week.

I use either the tightening up drooping clotheslines between poles (only
4-6 strings compared to 220+)

... or mowing a really shaggy lawn. (you may get everything cut down to
length in one pass, but you have to rake to be sure you didn't miss
something like a dandelion popping back up or a pass which didn't quite
overlap)

Conrad Hoffsommer

Early to rise: early to bed;
Makes a man healthy, and socially dead.