Country units

Carl Teplitski koko99@shaw.ca
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:59:27 -0600

" Great devices for having people understand technical jargon. "We who are
techs., assume that most people can understand what we're talking about
when we say pitch raise. Telling someone that their piano is 50 cents flat,
almost always gets that glazed over look.  I often tell peole that because
their piano is flat, it will have to be tuned 2 or 3 times to get it to
settle at pitch.
It is similar to painting a plaster wall , which hasn't seen paint for
10 or 20
years. You know  what happens to the first coat ?  Well almost all people
will say that the paint seems to sink into the plaster,  but the next
coat usually
makes a bigger difference.  Of course , it isn't unusual to have to
paint a third
time, if you really want a good job.  Most times , 2 tunings are pretty
good, and
will suffice till the next scheduled tuning, say in 6 months or so. If
in a concert
setting, one might have to tune maybe 3 or 4 times that week.

Carl / Winnipeg