More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 06:22:03 -0800

I don't know how to build a car.  But I can tell you if it runs well.
Since those of us who don't build soundboards still can hear differences
between pianos. The basic questions being asked are why do I hear what I
hear on this particular piano.  I think it's a worthwhile discussion and
I welcome even speculative input.  Of course, I do pay close attention
to those who have built them for answers based on real experience as I
make choices about who will build my soundboards (if I don't) for me.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Porritt, David
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 5:05 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: RE: More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

So much of this discussion has been about speculation of how a sounding
board "will probably react" in different configurations.  We all have a
conception of what happens at different points in construction.  This
takes me back to my first years in this business where I thought that
you could just tighten the tension resonator on an M & H and get more
crown.  The concept was intuitive for me at that point.  As I learned
more, I realized that you couldn't tighten the turnbuckles enough to
compress the 4" X 6" beams so that wouldn't work.  Then I learned that
the rim wasn't holding the crown anyhow.

My point is we get these concepts that seem to our intuition to be
workable though we have not actually done them.  This discussion has
pitted those with firmly held conceptual ideas of what a CC or RC&S
board will do against a very few who have actually built both kinds.  I
have never (and at this point in my life won't ever) built a sounding
board.  I have, however, learned enough to pay somewhat more attention
to those who have actually built them, over those who have some
intuitive concept of what probably happens.

dave

David M. Porritt
dporritt@smu.edu