More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 07:05:06 -0600

So much of this discussion has been about speculation of how a sounding
board "will probably react" in different configurations.  We all have a
conception of what happens at different points in construction.  This
takes me back to my first years in this business where I thought that
you could just tighten the tension resonator on an M & H and get more
crown.  The concept was intuitive for me at that point.  As I learned
more, I realized that you couldn't tighten the turnbuckles enough to
compress the 4" X 6" beams so that wouldn't work.  Then I learned that
the rim wasn't holding the crown anyhow.

My point is we get these concepts that seem to our intuition to be
workable though we have not actually done them.  This discussion has
pitted those with firmly held conceptual ideas of what a CC or RC&S
board will do against a very few who have actually built both kinds.  I
have never (and at this point in my life won't ever) built a sounding
board.  I have, however, learned enough to pay somewhat more attention
to those who have actually built them, over those who have some
intuitive concept of what probably happens.

dave

David M. Porritt
dporritt@smu.edu