a tuning question

J Patrick Draine draine@comcast.net
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:06:50 -0500

I can't speak for Reading PA but January 2004 was extremely dry, and if
I had set a stable piano to A440 back then it would be sharp at the
current RH level (it's raining buckets right now, and was warm for a
couple days).
And don't forget the impact that room temperature has on pitch. Perhaps
the heat was set lower for your recent visit, but you tuned it on a day
when the heat had been set at a comfortable level.
It's not uncommon for me to arrive at a church to find the temperature
in the mid 50s -- if I tune it to A440 it will be flat Sunday morning
when the church has been warmed up for the congregation's comfort.
patrick draine