a tuning question

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:16:34 -0500

"what gives????"

They don't have humidity control?

Terry Farrell

  Greetings,=20

                 In Feb '04 I tuned two church pianos that were below =
pitch. They were  down at about A430 or less. After I was done they were =
A440. I did pitch raises. This year, I went back and found that both =
pianos were about 10 cycles sharp...and this is February...the heat has =
been on for 4+ months the things should be flat, if anything, right? But =
nooo.... they're sharp.=20

                On the first piano, (a Kawaii studio upright) I thought: =
"Ok this is in a basement (choir rehearsal room) and it could be that =
moisture absorbed into the thing and so it's sharp". However, when I got =
upstairs to the sanctuary ( a Steinway console)  piano, its even =
sharper(!) (about 3 cycles sharper than the one in the basement) and a =
little business card of another tuner is in there; a date on it reads:=20
  8-9-04  A440...along with a list of other dates that indicated that =
they were tuned twice a year by this tuner. (That card with dates was in =
there last February too).

                I am a stickler for A440 so today I took each of the =
pianos and made them A4440 again. My question is: WHY? Why were these =
pianos so ***@#$*#$%^% sharp!!!??
  Could it be that the other tuner turned them up in August 04 after I =
was there in Feb '04?  The story was when I was called in that were =
tuned regularly by this other tuner, (the card indicated such)  Yet, the =
pianos were so flat when I was called in, in Feb '04 that I had to pull =
them both up....what gives????

  Julia Gottchall.=20
  Reading, PA