Great old pianos with big, fat ribs........

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 21:22:58 -0800 (PST)

Thank you, Terry, for the informative answer.
     Actually, no, I remember not from whence the
statement originated: only that somewhere in the
barrage of info on this list it was stated that a
rib-crowned board should have ribs taller in
cross-section than wide. And that any piano with wide
( rather than tall ) ribs is inherently CC. That this
Packard was rib crowned there is no doubt: the contour
is readily visually observed as cut into the ribs
themselves. Also that it has an extremely full, rich,
round tone there is no doubt, though the damage to it
is significant ( it lived beneath an air-conditioner
and the whole board is white with water-damaged
shellac. ) And the aforementioned cracks. Quite a
testimony to RC construction, I do believe !!!
     Thummmmmmmmmmmmm

P.S. Anyone have definitive dope on a Packard-
automotive, and Packard-piano link ????