Automotive/Piano Links

Greg DesBrisay g.desbrisay@ieee.org
16 Feb 2005 22:21:38 -0800

I don't have any definitive information, but here's some info that
suggests a link:

    Packard Motor Company started out in Warren, Ohio, but soon moved to
    Detroit, Michigan.

    The Packard Company which made pianos was in Ft. Wayne, Indiana,
    which is not far from Detroit (aprox. 150 miles away).

    The logos for both companies are not identical, but are surprisingly
    similar:
    http://www.packardmuseum.org/defaultmain.htm
    http://ioffer.com/i/1905-Piano-4-Ad-Packard-Steinway-Mason-Hamlin-Cecilian-2762608

Perhaps the folks at the National Packard Museum know the answer?
Their contact info can be found at www.packardmuseum.org.

But wait!  There's another piano/automotive link that I was surprised to
find!

According to the info at
http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventions/story054.htm, Piano maker
Steinway acquired the Daimler patent licenses for the USA in 1888 and
founded the "Daimler Motor Company" at Long Island, NY  (Daimler and
Benz founded Daimler-Benz in Germany).

Interesting!

Greg