Finishing questions

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 21:31:46 -0800 (PST)

It does not seem
> to want to take stain or especially dye. What do I
> do?

A lot of strippers contain wax, which holds in the
solvents while they dissolve the old finish. If this
wax is not totally washed off it can create this
problem with staining. I like to scrub the wood
( moderately gently ) with lacquer thinner and a
brass pot brush. This gets the old finish/solvent/wax
goop out of the pores. And wipe down with a
lacquer-thinnner ( or denatured alcohol ) soaked rag.
( I use paper towels for the final wipe down. WEAR A
GOOD CARBON FILTER MASK GLOVES, ETC !!!!! )
     Once the wood is good and clean ( except for
traces of old aniline dye ) it shiuld accept any kind
of stain you want. If the old dye is uneven, wipe with
a diluted Clorox solution to bleach it out.
     Thump

P.S. Wear that mask and gloves or you'll become a
moron like me!