More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:42:36 -0600

>    Sarah
>  What your describing is a linear spring rate. IMO a sound board system
> is more non-linear
>  This is the way it responds under my hand when stressing the panel to
> set bearing. The first 2-3 mm I compress it are not difficult but after
> that it get's way stiffer. Hammers are also non linear felt springs.
>   Dale

A soundboard assembly is a non-linear spring by measurement, and I suspect
panel compression accounts for most of that non-linearity. The lower the
compression levels in the panel, the more linear the spring rate should be.
That should encourage greater amplitude of movement at any given loading if
back scale lengths allow.

Ron N