More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

Thu, 17 Feb 2005 22:31:46 +0100

Hi Sarah

I'm going to let the RC & S gang answer to your questions about how that
system ends up, but I would assume that drying the panel even to 6.5 %
would introduce a certain degree of compression into the assembly....
especially in places like... Florida... Iowa... Kansas... in the
summertime :)

As for the structual strengths maths and assumptions being tossed
around. Seems a bit curious to me that most of this stuff is based on
information known about beam strengths, applied to a panel that is
loaded in a completely different fashion. Heck.. its not even loaded
remotely like a floor when it comes down to it. Consider the panel
itself.  Bridge runs pretty much parallel to the grain, and that grain
is supposed to be quartersawn with the radial side up.  Pressing down on
this bridge... the bridge itself will want to constrain the footprint
surfaceof the panel from compressing (in the face of downbearing) in the
direction along its length... along the grain...  but perpendicular to
the grain things are different. Strength data for bending stiffness in
this direction is lacking because of course you are asking for bending
stiffness in the case we only measure shear strength.  I mean... take a
flatsawn board and give it a karate chop in the wrong direction
(perpendicular to grain) and you will get my point here.

So here we are... discussing bending stiffness for the panel either
ignoring bending along the grain, or applying strength properties that
apply to beams in the perpendicular direction with the load applied
tangentially !  In short.. if one is to constertate just what the panels
stiffeness properties relative to things like degree of cross grain
compression,  it seems a bit ridougulous to not measure the E in that
direction. After all.. we are dealing with something more akin plank
loaded widthwise... as in a plate, then we are a beam.  Once thats all
figured out.. then you can figure that into the assembly as a whole with
the ribs attached.

No doubt tho... this all is out to lunch :)

Cheers
RicB

hi Ric,

>/ To the direct claim that stiffness (in any direction) does not increase
/>/ with compression. This is simply false. It does. Wood is usually sorted
/>/ into grades that are related to density, straightness of grain, grain
/>/ consistancy... etc.  Looking at the tables in just about any such manual
/>/ one sees quickly that E, and for that matter just about all strength
/>/ properties, increase as density increases.  Since a compressed panel is
/>/ essentialy a more dense panel then it would be without the compression, it
/>/ goes without saying that it becomes stiffer.
/
Thus my caveat about the SB components *not* being ideal springs.  I just
didn't know *how* non-ideal!  It would appear the material is highly
nonlinear, which could account for some of its unique acoustic properties.
Strange stuph, wood...  ;-)

It seems to me that a completely *uncompressed* RC/S panel would have to be
made thusly...

(1) Determine the total desired downbearing of the strings.
(2) Determine the initial curvature of the ribs needed to support said
downbearing with the desired final crown (which would be flatter than the
initial, unloaded curvature).
(3) Stabilize the panel wood at the target ambient RH (e.g. 42% RH).
(4) Glue up the ribs under load, with the curvature of the
setting/drying/curing assembly being the same as that of the final assembly
under load.  (Do this preferably with epoxy.)

When released, the panel would spring back somewhat, putting tension, not
compression, on the panel.  But when the panel is mounted into the rim and
placed under load, the panel tension would be relieved, and the net
tension/compression on the panel would be zero.

Is this how it is done???

Peace,
Sarah