Cal State Conv-Dale Erwins 'D'

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:48:45 -0800

Dittos on seeing Fern Henry, even though I didn't buy her book. =
 She did a lot for PTG in her time...

David Ilvedson

Original message
From: Fenton Murray
Subject: Cal State Conv-Dale Erwins 'D'

The concert Saturday afternoon at the Cal State Conference was=
 like nothing
I can remember. Maybe I need to get out more. Richard Glazier=
 playing a '28
S&S D restored by Dale Erwin with a new board. Just the piano and=
 artist, no
amplification, no other instruments or vocals. The piano filled=
 the
auditorium  beautifully as it was designed to do. I think I had=
 forgotten
the power that a piano can have. I'm so proud to know Dale and to=
 be able to
call myself his student.

I played the piano before the concert, I've also played it at=
 Dale's shop.
All different rooms, each giving the piano a different sound. The=
 piano is a
joy to play, so easy. In the auditorium 30 feet out it was a=
 completely
different instrument again, sounding as it should, in it's role=
 of filling
an auditorium. The bass had a beautiful growl to it and all=
 registers were
well balanced. The killer octave sounded like I think it should.=
 Voicing was right down the middle.
 More important the artist was able to completely meld with
the piano. No action saturation, no distortion, absolute power,=
 striking the
keys from 3 feet above them,  down to beautiful melodic passages=
 that went
straight to the back of the hall. My only complaint was that it=
 was on those
leg dollies which made the pedals to high. Not that my back was=
 up to
replacing casters.

Hat's off to you, Dale. Your 'D' was the star of the show.

On another note it was great to see Fern Henry at the Spurlock=
 booth. I
bought her book and can not put it down!

Fenton Murray, RPT