Phil's website was New website setup

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:26:16 -0500

Hi Duaine,

> Phil, I just took a look at your website at 640 x 480 screen size and the
> right side is cut-off. To see the whole thing, you have to scroll left and
> right. So, bottom line if you did not know it already, your website is
> setup for the industry standard of 800 x 600.

There's actually no "industry standard" for the size of a window.  Most
people open scalable browser windows, rather than maximized ones.  They
could be almost any size.  There is also no safe bet as far as maximum
available size.  I think most people have their monitors set to 1024 x 768,
but there are a few oddballs like me who go as high as 1600 x 1200 (or
higher) or as low as 800 x 600 (those with eyesight problems or really
ancient systems).

When I'm authoring web sites (... and I'm for hire, folks), I try to keep
any unscalable elements of the page to a maximum of 600 pixels width, which
I figure is a comfortable scalable window size in the average 1024 pixel
viewing environment.  I arrived at this figure by observing lots of people
at their computers.  The height doesn't matter, BTW, since people are
accustomed to using the righthand scroll bar.

Peace,
Sarah

PS Phil -- Nice web site.  :-)  I'm for hire for my photoediting work if you
or someone else wants it.  You can find me at www.graphic-fusion.com.