Contract Tuning

Richard Gullion pianoguy@rogers.com
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 18:01:06 -0500 (EST)

Mathew
Its understandable about wanting to try and discount as a mode of building clients. I tried offering free tunings to teachers for referals. Result...no referals, call backs about a click and a rattle. And when it was time to tune again. The piano sounds find. Call next year. Never to be tuned again. The secret is a hard one. Do excellent work, be pleasant, LISTEN to your client, know the people and the piano. Never comprimise on quality. Discounting is for bargain hunters and and they seldom become long term clients. Call your clients when its time to retune. During your appointments its a good idea to plant a seed in their head when you feel the piano will need tuning. Mark it on your calender. More times than not a recall will say we were just talking about you...when can you come. They say do anything long enough and you will have success. I say do anything with excellence and integrity. and success will be yours sooner.

Greg Newell <gnewell@ameritech.net> wrote:
Well, Matthew, you can build your business any way you like. I choose not to discount. I think I'm worth more than that. I've never had a problem and I think I'm respected for sticking to my guns when people do ask. They haven't gone elsewhere to my knowledge so why give away what you don't have to? Might be different if I considered myself less than worthy or this was some kind of hobby but it is not. I have mouths to feed and bills to pay just like everyone else.

Best wishes,
Greg Newell