Great old pianos with fat ribs

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:26:38 -0500

You still don't know for sure because you don't know how the rib was =
originally shaped. I assume you mean the "face" to be the surface glued =
to the panel and the spine is the opposite surface. What if the "face" =
was straight and the "spine" was contoured (feathered) originally. Dry =
down a panel and glue on the ribs. Let the board develop its compression =
crowning and now you have a curved straight "spine" and a curved "face".

Terry Farrell

  Terry asked: " How can you =3D
  determine that? If the rib is curved, could it still not be from panel =
=3D
  compression? You may well be correct, but I just don't see how one =
could =3D
  be so sure.

  Terry,
  It's simple. Use a straight edge. If the rib "face" is curved and the =
"spine" is straight, then the rib has a machined "crown". With an olde =
piano, the "spine" may be curved the other way. Still a machined-in =
crown.<G>=20
  Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
  Captain, Tool Police
  Squares R I