More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 22:09:52 EST

In a message dated 2/16/2005 12:19:41 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
davidlovepianos@comcast.net writes:

effect  of softer hammer, softer panel, might produce a tone that while
having  adequate power (loudness) might not have the balance of partials
to make  the tone interesting, lively, expressive, you choose your
favorite  word.  So control of the panel's EMC, while seemingly not  as
critical for purposes of achieving stiffness in the assembly  overall,
might still be very critical in order to achieve a certain  tonal
balance.
   David
  I think this is possible & is my  thinking. When panel compression  exsists
some dynamic tension between  the rib being bent up a bit by the panel
compression & the rib wanting to  pull it back down creates continual static &
dynamic reactive  force. Perhaps some of this is healthy & building boards
attempring to shape & mold certain characterisitcs is very  interesting.
 I've been logging all the data per given board to keep  track of the design
parameters & then draw a conclusion based on the  sound I get. Ie original rib
width,height,length. New rib crown width ,new  length, Panel thickness ,
tapering ,where & how much.  Rib tapering etc.
 I installed the Mason board with cut-off, fish and  altered rib heights &
widths, weds. & when the clamp came off in  the morning & it already had a very
healthy & vibrant boom/rap even  though the tight bond surely isn't thoroughly
cured. This is not usually the  case.
  Dale