general finishing question

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:02:27 -0600

Subject: Re: general finishing question

Terry <terry@farrellpiano.com> wrote:

Hi Mark,

If you stain before filling grain, when sanding the dried grain filler, how
do you avoid sanding through the shellac and/or stain? I seem to be
grain-fill/stain challanged! Are you using water based grain filler?

Hi Terry -

I have used both water-based filler and solvent-based filler, and either
way, sanding the stuff without sanding thru the color IS a challenge that
requires constant vigilance while sanding.  I wish I had a magic word or two
to pass on to you, but I don't.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, sanding
the filler in the exact same manner that you sanded the bare wood is a
necessary starting point.

When you don't use grain filler, how many coats of top-coat do you find is
required to get a level finish - or do you live with the grain depressions
in this approach?

Naturally all woods are not identical, but generally I would say that
mahogany sanded to 220, dyed and sealed with at least a 2lb cut of shellac,
will require app. 6 total applied coats of water-based material to fill the
grain.  I just sprayed one last week where I stopped at 5 total coats of
water-based, and there is the ever-so-slight amount of grain showing, a look
I have warmed to of late.

Mark

Terry Farrell

Mark, Terry, Others

After your filler is COMPLETELY dried spray a couple of coats of shellac (2#
cut) over the filler.  This gives you more film over your stain.  Now sand
the shellac level or near level.  The high spots from the filling process
will be gone.

Paul C